Earthquake in Chile means danger for Hawaii

Go down

Earthquake in Chile means danger for Hawaii

Post  Celica on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:49 pm

So I don't know if some of you may have heard that last night, an 8.8 earthquake shook the continent of Chile (mostly in the capital of Concepcion), which scientists predicted will cause a tsunami (or series of) to affect the islands of Hawaii as well as other surrounding islands.

As of yet on the news, no major tsunami seems to have hit yet, but there is still warning that a possible tsunami may hit at any hour.

At 6:00am this morning the tsunami sirens all over the islands went off, schools, roads and a few airports have been closed.

Right now I am paying attention to the news and hoping that nothing happens. Most of the islands are in a warning state, and on the East side of the island of where I live, the waters are somewhat receding, and the water is being discolored from the stirring of debris.

I am lucky enough that I was not called to go to work today (since I work close to the beach) but as for my father and the rest of the people who actually still have to work today, hopefully nothing major will happen.

I hope for the best.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~ Dr. Seuss
Celica
Elder

Back to top Go down

Re: Earthquake in Chile means danger for Hawaii

Post  Lucxene on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Geez...I wonder if people in Chile are okay...Oi...Um... Yeah,Liah mentioned to me she heard Tsunami stuff heading to Hawaii...If I remember right,I think you don't live near the beach which is good.Just hope,everything is okay and nothing crazy happens.x.x Be safe and if you think those tidal waves are coming.>_> Tell work to f off if they call ya in.
Lucxene
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Celica on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Lucxene wrote:Geez...I wonder if people in Chile are okay...Oi...Um... Yeah,Liah mentioned to me she heard Tsunami stuff heading to Hawaii...If I remember right,I think you don't live near the beach which is good.Just hope,everything is okay and nothing crazy happens.x.x Be safe and if you think those tidal waves are coming.>_> Tell work to f off if they call ya in.

Unfortunately from the news I heard that 47 people were already confirmed dead, and the number is expected to rise. While the damage there was not as great as what happened in Haiti, it was still a pretty big quake and people still died because of it.

As for me here, yes fortunately I live up on higher ground, but everyone is waiting anxiously (some with anticipation?) to see if a tsunami will actually hit. Also I don't think I'll be called in to work hehe.

My mom brought my dad to work this morning, and my mom kinda got stuck because they closed the roads to drive back up for now, but otherwise I think she will be fine.

Thanks for the concern, I will definitely be looking out and inform you guys of any changes.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~ Dr. Seuss
Celica
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Celica on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Well I said this in guild chat on DoMO but forgot to post it here, the Tsunami warning for Hawaii was canceled early afternoon yesterday, so we got away clean once again. XD

Unfortunately after all that waiting for water, where I live we are getting pounded by heavy rain which is still pretty much like a tsunami to me...rofl.

Also, the death toll still rises in Chile, and things are still pretty bad there, so I hope the best for all the people there.

Celica
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Liah on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm very glad to hear it. As Celi knows full front I was one worried Bunny <<

My heart goes out to the people of Chile and I do hope they manage to recover soon
Liah
Smash
Smash

Back to top Go down

WARNING

Post  Slog on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:57 am

According to scientist the recent earthquakes in Chile and Haiti all point to the states about to hit thier Next Big EarthQuake which will be at a max 8.0 where this will be they are speculating it will be San Fransisco or Las Angelas so if any of you live around there be careful

Slog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down