Chaotic Dragon Guild Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does the real you do?

+5
Lucxene
Celica
Binks
Jarod
Mjrn
9 posters

Go down

What does the real you do? Empty What does the real you do?

Post  Mjrn Sun May 17, 2009 9:30 pm

I was talking to Liah and got this idea, though we may know your job on domo *coughSYLPHAcough* what's your real life job? Do you have one? If not what else do you do? Sometimes it's fun to see what other people do, if you feel uncomfortable posting here you don't have to, and feel free to give as much information as you want.

What I do for my job?

Well as most of you know now, I work full time for the Government of Ontario in the department of Tourism and Learning. I work at a living history site that's been considered Canada's best outdoor attraction for quite a few years now [yes it beats many of our theme parks, go nerds!]

What is a living history site?
Esentially it's like a museum, we have artifacts crica the era we protray [1815], but we add a twist: a full time, highly trained staff that dresses up and protrays real people who used to live in that era. While we are not 100% accurate, we try our best to give an accurate replication of that time using a techique called Flexible First-Person Role Playing.

Now more specificall, what do I do?
There are many sectors at work, I work for the Education section. This means that while I am part of the living history exhibit, I do lots of planning educational programs for visitors, school groups, internatitional groups and much more. It can be anything from a group of 15 people, to 150 people, it can be quite tiring. We will spend the whole day with them, ensure they are reciving and educational, yet pleasurable and fun experience.

Working as a role player I had to get used to protarying someone who I wasn't, luckily the character I protray is similar to me in many ways. I protray a 20 year old girl names Louise Morrisette, she was married last year to her husband Joseph [24] and will never have any kids in her life due to an inability. Considering the era, she is extremely old to get married while her husband is extrememly young. Her father left her, her mother and younger sister to leave the interior a few years ago, since then Louise has become very family orientated. Like all women at the fort she cherishes her mixed blood being half French and half Ojibwa [luckily I can speak French fluently, and I'm trying to learn some Ojibaw]. Louise is very soft natured, never getting mad, but she is stubbron as an ox, though she'll never get mad about it...just annoy you with it.

What are my qualifications and training for this job?
Though it may seem like a fun place [and it is] we have an extensive training program that spans nine full 8-9 hour days of just training, here are a few of my qualifications.

Speaks and writes fluently in English and French.
-Has CPR certificate
-Has first aid certificate
-Has her silver medallion [one level under being a lifeguard]
-Is Epi-Pen trained
-Has ORCKA level C [3, Ontari recreational canoe and kyak assitation license]
-Has a boating license
-Has her driver's license
-Can drive a standard vechile
-Can drive off raod/gator/maintence vechiles
-Trained with Hi-Five educational specialization
-Frist person, flexible role play training
-Has completed her partners' test to play a major role
-Has completed a research essay on part of her employment every year
-Has done a collections report on a historical item every year
-Has OVP [overnight program] training, which inculdes safety standards, programming insight and a lot of other stuff.
-Has her swim and rescue training.
-Is trained in Historical Operations to examine the difference between an original item circa a time peroid and a recreation [werid but necessary]
-Has completed her WHIMIS training
-Has completed her test to be allowed to handle large groups of people alone for long peroids of time
-Has obtained her fire permit [woot cooking over the open fire and catching yourself on fire]

There's a bunch of other smaller scale stuff, but this is why we have nine days of training... Kids require training and...urgh
Mjrn
Mjrn
Queen of the Dragons
Queen of the Dragons

Back to top Go down

What does the real you do? Empty Re: What does the real you do?

Post  Jarod Mon May 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Well my real-life counterpart isn't nearly as exciting as Mjrns, but here goes.

I'm a CAD operator, my official title is "Drafter." I sit in a cube and draw stuff on a computer using AutoCAD, mostly utility pathways under road surfaces and on telephone poles and whatnot. Sometimes inside of buildings, but not as often.

The exciting part about my job is that there is a programming language within the program that we use, a customized version of LISP called AutoLISP or Visual LISP. Using it, the functionality of AutoCAD can be tremendously improved and augmented. The best part is that, when I joined the company, no one knew a thing about it. Because of my influence, the programs I and others have written have begun to spread and become widely used. I won't see any bonuses in my paycheck for the extra work I've done to help the company out, but it keeps me occupied Razz

I won't go into the details of some of the scripts I've written, mainly because they're very work-oriented and, as such, dry as a sun-baked bone, although from a programming perspective they're quite interesting. My first two programs saved about an hour or two from a job that would otherwise have taken 4 or 5 hours. Multiply that by 3 or 4 jobs a day over the course of a few months.. it adds up. The one I did after that had a similar effect, but this time around, I paid more attention to the numbers. That program alone has probably saved over 200 hours of company time, that's at least $3,000 dollars if you're thinking $15 dollars an hour for an employee. I've also written a form of Pong and Breakout, a program to print files with many, many different options and to do so a lot faster than a human could, as well as written a text-based function which was lost in AutoCAD 2009 and wasn't even available in the earlier versions 15 years ago (we still use those versions.. cheap, I suppose) and written in an improvement to a function that everyone uses several dozen times a day. My current project is a server/client system which, currently, is being used to create a chat program, but I hope to use it to create a networked text-based RPG and utterly obliterate all productivity in my department.

As I go along, I'm going to keep more and more track of the improvements I've made to the company. I hope that, some day, I can supply my bosses and supervisors with this data and tell them that I'd like my money back. Maybe. <3
Jarod
Jarod
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  Binks Mon May 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Ummmm, I hate my job? >< >< Part time Cashier/customer service desk/front end supervise at a gorcery store.... yay(sarcasm if you can't see it)

On the other hand, I own a freelance illustration company and I sell Art, Origami jewellry and lessons, I write poetry, short stories (been published once, can't remember what it was called tho) and am working on a novel (which sucks and no one gets to read it)
Binks
Binks
Songwriter
Songwriter

http://dragcave.net/user/BinksTriada

Back to top Go down

Post  Celica Tue May 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Aww damn Mjrn how can I even follow yours? D:

Lol j/k...

Anyway...currently I am working in a retail store for a beach hotel. I'm just a simple sales associate...doing paperwork, cashiering and helping out customers...sometimes when I'm really in the mood I help people pick out clothes or items that suit them (and try to get them to buy as much as possible...lol)

But lately the hotel has been slow and it's been so boring because not many people come in the store and usually all they do is look around....at least I have a nice view? XD

Well like Binks I'm kinda tired of my job and so now that I graduated from college I am going to try and find something better for me...
Celica
Celica
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucxene Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:26 am

The real me sucks at life. ^_^;
Lucxene
Lucxene
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Theia Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:55 am

I dont work, I just am... Iono what that makes me but well i have a own house 2 cars, son and a dog....

and nope... i ish not rich... Hubby works but im not well enough to work so im retirement from worklife at the age of 27 Shocked

maybe i will work later.... no one knows yet. Rolling Eyes
Theia
Theia
Branch Head - Demon Dragons

Back to top Go down

Post  rafaelito Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Well, you all know what I do even though I haven't worked in almost a year. I'm an English teacher (from 7th grade all the way to college level). I have also worked as a tutor for college level students for about three years. I'm a grammar-oriented type of teacher, so my focus is mainly stuff regarding rules, syntax, semantics, morphology... meh... boring stuff I guess. Shocked

I'm definitely not the literature type... o.o I don't read that much and I hate reading with or to other people. I get bored. O.O

Starting August, I will become a full time student and hopefully I will find a part time job. If I do, then I guess I will have to update this entry. XD
rafaelito
rafaelito

Back to top Go down

Post  Haliphax Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:15 pm

well i have no job yet but i read in my pass time and do birdwatching
can't blame a person if they have Ornithophilia and also i have glossophilia[love of languages if you didn't know] as well

and well the other things i do is take leisurely walks around my neighborhood and not much else it will be that way until school starts

Haliphax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sylpha Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:47 am

ima recently graduated, hanging with friends loving, jobless (hopefully not for long) dude who babysits not only his 14 yo bro but also his mom as his grandmother works, spend way too much time reading manga, watching anime, and playing games which i use as an escape to get away from the the world and am scared to death of facing my future thats still very much undicided. the only life i have is taht of my friends which brings up the fear of losing evena single one of them and absolutely hate to be on anyones bad side which is why i follow the 'make no enemies' way of life which often seems to conflict with the my judgements of who to trust and who to not.
overall im a lazy bum who sits in front of a game console, television, or computer 90% of his life, and though i feel as though i should do something with my life i never make the incentive because of my fear of what the future holds
Sylpha
Sylpha
Offical Chaotic Dragon's Pet and Cleaner of Toliets

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down