Chaotic Dragon Guild Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mjrn's Books Review List

2 posters

Go down

Mjrn's Books Review List Empty Mjrn's Books Review List

Post  Mjrn Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:39 am

I'm an avid reader, it's one of my favourite passtimes. Here I will post some of my favourite books and give a short summary of them. Please note, if the summary is in red the book is not appropriate for certain people becuase I am a fan of more adult novels. [and I'm usually not just talking about smut].

Feel free to post comments here and ask questions about the books.
Mjrn
Mjrn
Queen of the Dragons
Queen of the Dragons

Back to top Go down

Mjrn's Books Review List Empty The current series I'm reading

Post  Mjrn Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:03 am

Please note the following series should not be read by anyone under 18 years of age [that's what the warning says] it contains heavy sexual themes and severe gore, therefore if you are sensitive to the gore especially avoid this series. There is a reason why it is in the adult fantasy and horror section.

The Merry Gentry saga by Laurell K Hamilton, the series is still ongoing for publishing sequels I believe [I'm not on the last book yet], novels so far:

A Kiss of Shadow
A Carass of Twilight
Seduced by Moonlight
A Stroke of Midnight
Mistral's Kiss
A Lick of Frost
Swalloing Darkness

The Story [will talk about the first and second books, because if you read the synopisis on the back of the first book it esensitally tells the story]

Meredith NicEssus, better known as Merry Gentry in the human world is a Sidhe royal hiding from her sadistic Aunt Andias Queen of Air and Darkness of the Unseelie court, and also her Cousin Cel. Being third in line for the Unseelie throne, and also mortal [for she is half Sidhe, half human] Merry finds herself the end of harassment from the other Sidhe and constanly being challenged to duels.

Three years ago she decided to hide away and pose as a mere fey while working as a P.I in the Grey dective agency. As the story progresses the Grey agency recives an request from a wife and the mistress that the husband was having an affiar with, they say that the husband is trying to kill his current wife. Soon they discoer that Alistar Norton [the husband] was beinning a sex-cult worshipping the Sidhe in hopes of obtaining a Sidhe woman in his bed. After being used a guinea pig Merry discovered that Alistar was using Brawney's Tears [a fey aphrodisaic] to seduce his victims, Alistar discovers that Merry is Sidhe right before Merry hears a voice telling her to go under the bed. Merry complies and seconds later, the large mirror over the bed shatters dicing Alistar Norton into pieces.

Merry fears that the fey are out to bring her to the Seelie court as she tries to escape she meets Sholto one of the Queen's Raven's [guards]. He tries to convince him to marry her [the only way marriage is legitimate in faerie is if a child is born] to prevent Andais from brutally killing her. Merry finds herself appualed by Shotos features for he is not pure Sidhe and has a few too many tentacles for her liking. Shortly after Merry is attacked by one the Sholto's slaugh [lesser fey] and discovers her hand of power which proved that she has become a fully grown Sidhe.

Merry retreats to the bathroom to hide from the slaugh, she is badly injured from her previous fight. After seeing a spider in the mirror she cries out for help as a purely black figure emerges from the mirror, he is Doyle the Queen's Darkness and the captain to her Raven's. After some conflicts Doyle manages to bring Merry back to the Court on request that Andais wants to peacefull talk to her. After meeting up with her father's old advisor Barinthus and her childhood friend Galen [who is just a mere 70 years older than her] she enters the court to hear the queen's proposal.

In her aunt's room, Andais request that Merry renounced her spot as secondary heir and enters a competition with her cousin Cel for the throne. Over the past years Cel has become a brutal man, and deemed unfit as a leader, but Andais refuses to acknowlege her son's imperfections. Merry asks how she is to do this, as Andais tells her that she must pick a few of her Raven's and bed them, the one who gives her a child will be king. Merry is shocked for almost a thousand years ago Andais decided to force her Reven's into a vow of celiberacy.

After dining with the court [and almost being killed by her cousin a few times] Merry picks which guards she will have as her lovers; Doyle, the Queen's Darkness, Frost, the Queen's killing Frost, Galen her old childhood sweet heart but also the most unpolitical of the guards, and Rhys a former Death God who loves black and white movies and playing detective. Andias also sends a guard that would directly report to her [after some incidents the guard would be Nicca, a demi Sidhe and pixie] By the end of the banquet it was discovered that Cel tries to kill Merry on multiple occasions and that he was the cause of the sex-cult [though it was blantly assumes] Andais finally decided to send her son to 6 months of toture.

More to come later
Mjrn
Mjrn
Queen of the Dragons
Queen of the Dragons

Back to top Go down

Mjrn's Books Review List Empty Re: Mjrn's Books Review List

Post  Lady-Amnesia Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:36 pm

Mmmmmm fellow book reader <3
I have one that you might really like if you like her books.

The Black Jewels Trilogy- by Anne Bishop

Seven hundred years ago, a Black Widow witch saw an ancient prophecy come to life in her web of dreams and visions. Now the Dark Realm readies itself for the arrival of its Queen, a Witch who will wield more power than even the High Lord of Hell himself. But she is still young, still open to influence-and corruption.
Whoever controls the Queen controls the darkness. Three men-sworn enemies-know this. And they know the power that hides behind the blue eyes of an innocent young girl. And so begins a ruthless game of politics and intrigue, magic and betrayal, where the weapons are hate and love-and the prize could be terrible beyond imagining...
Jaenelle, is destined to rule the Blood, if she can reach adulthood. Saetan, High Lord of Hell and most powerful of the Blood males, becomes Jaenelle's surrogate father and teacher. He cannot protect her outside Hell, where he rules. She refuses to leave Terreille, risking herself to protect or heal other victims of violence. Can Daemon, Saetan's estranged son, keep her safe from the machinations of the evil High Priestess?
Lady-Amnesia
Lady-Amnesia

Back to top Go down

Mjrn's Books Review List Empty Re: Mjrn's Books Review List

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down